Key issues a surviving spouse may face are:
- Taking a complete inventory of the family’s assets and debts;
- Making arrangements for services and final expenses of the deceased;
- Loss of some Social Security income and/or pension income from the deceased spouse, which may affect the survivor’s ability to pay on-going living expenses;
- Settling the estate of the deceased spouse and distributing assets accordingly;
- Becoming familiar with the family’s IRAs and investment assets and determining how to generate income for the surviving spouse;
- Making claims on any life insurance for the deceased spouse and how to invest the proceeds.
- Life & Estate planning for the surviving spouse.